Sunday, 30 September 2007

ABSOLUTE-ly Lackluster

"We'll miss the deadlineeeeeeeeeeeeee!", I could almost hear the fashion editor shouting to his staff as they put together their collection for the September issue of Absolute Marbella.

My favourite stylist and fashion coordinator of (my favourite) Absolute Marbella, Fran Larrañaga, might have missed out on this one. First of all, I was expecting big hair, dramatic poses, high shoes, bushy things, big belts and colours, colours colours! inspired by the recently concluded fashion week in Nueva York and the runways of Madrid and Barcelona. However, my heart stopped in a microsecond when I saw the black and white cover and realized that the issue was about---of all things---denim.
Denim for Spring? Hmmm...I don't think so.

It might have been the lack of preparation and research but this month, the magazine has a totally boring approach to it's fashion page. Quite sad because they have great designer pieces which should have stood out on their own given the proper photo concept and theme instead of the standard studio photo shoot with white backdrop.
Pieces from Hugo Boss , Galliano, Gucci, Armand Basi, Moschino, Escada and Adolfo Dominguez lost their glam and glitz as they were covered with crisp jackets which only Levi's would be thrilled to see.
The models (except for the very innocent looking male) were fabulous and the accessories were fierce including a peacock inspired bracelet from Carrera y Carrera jewellers.

I honestly miss the previous covers of Absolute Marbella when everything is well thought of and not put together just because the stores have given them clothes to play with. I love Fran and his complex poses and I'm sure, given the right resources, he would have delivered each and every page, justice. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is something to wrap your fish and chips with, they looked fine to me. It is just too clean.Squeaky clean that makes it hu-humm. Below is a collection of Absolute Covers from the past. Now see the difference:

November 2006

November 2004

August 2005

March 2007

April 2007
August 2007


The creative juices of Absolute must have been dried up by the blazing Spanish sun but we are still hopeful that the October issue will come out with a vengeance. But for the moment...I stick with my Spanish Vogue.

What do you think about Absolute's September Issue?
A. Hot
B. Lukewarm
C. Cold

Besos!

Details:
www.absolutemagazine.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails