Wednesday, 19 March 2008

Emotional Weather Report

Warning: This entry has nothing to do with the weather at all (we leave that to the weathermen) however emotional it might have been in the last few weeks. Hey, weather make up your mind. Sunny but windy but cold? This entry is about gratitude to all the people who have supported MarbellaStyle as we reach our first 10,000 hits (300 more to go we reckon we can get this before this week ends) since it started in August of last year. And no, this is not an attempt to any shameless publicity stunt but rather a simple way of saying "thanks" to the city that we now call home. Most importantly, this is a long entry so if you don't have the patience nor the time, go somewhere else.


It must have been the best decision I made in my entire twenty nine years of existence to move to the coast of Spain about 4 years now. I can remember the night I arrived in the Malaga Airport the summer of 2004---everything was bleak and dark on my way to Benalmadena Costa where my family lives and I was horrified that I couldn't see a trace of 7-11 store anywhere for a pack of ciggie that ungodly hour of the morning. I came from a bustling city in the Far East where everything is accessible; where you can go to the cinema, last full show at one in the morning. Everything was different and waking up the next day to the sound of someone outside my apartment who was howling on the top his lungs accompanied by clapping (obviously it was flamenco) didn't help me either to adjust---something that I stupidly thought was easy.

Just like any other "new arrivals" in the coast, I discovered that finding a job here is not a walk in the park either. I battled my way through mountains of paperworks--empadronamiento, residencia, NIE number--- you know the works, and queuing every single day at the police station or the ayuntamiento was not the kind of exercise I could imagine myself getting into but nevertheless did, for the lack of choice. Being able to legally work is one thing, finding work is another. I was faced with tough competition from people around the globe and the confidence of having to speak English to get a proper job melted easily like a cheap ice cream under the hot Spanish sun. My first job in the kitchen of a chiringuito was not something I could rave about to my friends back home but looking at it now in a more mature perspective, It was something I was proud of as it was my learning ground to practice the language and adapt to the culture I had no idea about. There I learned a lot of things about the country and its people---a race blessed with powerful lungs. My first Spanish employers' communication skills always brought me to tears as I though she was mad at me with her shouts and shrieks accompanied by exaggerated hand gestures. It took me three long months to realize that that was just how and the majority of her countrymen talks. She was not mad at all. It is just the way the Spanish speaks.

I could go on and on with horror stories of my first two years in this country but despite everything, I learned to love my adoptive home. Especially Marbella. However small it may seem, the city is so cosmopolitan and it continues to bring together people from around the globe whose background, ethnicity and cultures have been significant in making it a vibrant and a bustling tourist destination that it is today. There are lots of things to see and discover in this part of town and if you are enthusiastic enough to learn and observe, you will definitely find out. For us at MarbellaStyle, we are in our continuous search local talents who are finding their way to be known for their craft. People, places and events which rightfully deserve to be known and have a taste of their 5 minutes of fame (as it is the average reading time for blogs) in the Internet and the blogosphere.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the people who have supported our humble blog which , from 20 visits when it started in August of 2007 , now receives an average of a whopping 200 visits daily from around the world and still growing. We have been featured in several websites in the U.S. as a "must read" of the day and we are now linked to different major fashion websites from different countries. In view of this, we are encouraging everyone---designers, photographers, models, writers, artists and everyone, basically everyone, who have something to say in the field of design, fashion, style and art to get in touch with us if you want to be seen or heard here in our humble abode.

Oh I feel like giving a speech in the Oscars sans the trophy, the gown and the swag but yeah, I feel emotionally overwhelmed by this development.

So guys, bring on the fun and I hope the summer will bring us not only perfect tans and happy spirits but more success with work and endeavours. MarbellaStyle will continue to reach its goal to keep everyone posted on what's happening on the coast's fashion/design/party department (less party more fashion related invitation please, people!) so again, if you have something to share, please keep in touch at info@marbellastyle.net.

This has been Miss J. ending your very highly emotional report.

Besos!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails