Tuesday, 8 April 2008

Out of Rehab.

I am gonna spit some shit and Marbella, my dear beautiful town of Marbella, you are not gonna like it. But hey, this is my blog and I can do a massive verbal diarrhoea if I want to. Now here's the story.

I have been working for an investment company for almost three months now.
Although it was quite far from where I live, I traded my valuable long sleeping habits and battled the frosty mornings of the winter to stand in the bus station almost always sleeping my way through the city as my driving skills is zilch.
I didn't regret the move.
The job that I had before that was worse and having a new job in the city where everything happens is just fantastic for me.

The company like most of those that were established by foreigners here in the coast was illegal to begin with.
Illegal in the sense that it didn't meet the requirements by the government in order to operate---no contract for the workers, social security paid vacations, etc---which I knew and accepted nevertheless.
As an expat who wants to earn a decent living and still on the process of legalization, I had no choice but to work in these kinds of companies.
Why not?
The money is good and the people were absolutely friendly and nice.
Most of my colleagues were nice and although there were some instances of catfights, I was actually thrilled with the bitching and blabbering which I even thought of capturing in video.
It was normal for an office to have something like that.
At the end of the day, everyone makes up.
Everyone works as a group
everyone makes a living. Hard.

Everything was normal. Or at least, for three months, that what I thought.
Even the drug use seemed to be normal. Excusable.
Everyone knows that that the brokers use cocaine.But it was fine, they said. As they need that for the job.
They need to sell. Big time.
To each his own. You can put sacks of coke in your nostrils for all I care.
Just stay away from me.

So there I was, stupid me thinking everything was fine.
Until they started to cut off people.
They started with the manager and the newbies. It was sad but inevitable.
Then came late payments. I was suspicious.
And then, the dreadful Monday. Yesterday.

Mr. X. , our manager has been transferred to another office as he was accused of sneaking into files and using them into his own vile purposes. Mr. X. was a nice man. He was the one who hired me. I liked him but I knew he was suspicious. I never cared. Just went on with my job and did it good. So much so that I was one of the top producers of leads.

But not what the report showed, as Mr. Y told me. Now, Mr. Y replaced Mr. X for the said position. He is a gorgeous 30 something guy who is very stylish, in his own way. Honestly, I even had a crush on him. Big time. I saw him maybe three times during my stay in the office.
He never looked at me directly. Just stolen glances. Which I always caught.
Until one day I saw him in the elevator.
I introduced myself.
We met for say, two minutes.
We joked.
He left.
I was thrilled. Like a thirteen year old girl in school meeting her crush for the first time.

One of my officemates warned me to stay away from him.
He is a bad boy apparently. Very bad.
I didn't care.
My crush for him was harmless. And he is attached.
No chance.
He was a cokehead. Big time.
No chance.

So Mr. Y confronted me with a sheet of pink paper.
It was the report.
From day one, I produced about 180 results.
From day one, NONE of them were sold.
From day one, it was bullshit.
I didn't believe it. It was just impossible.
Nobody in the office believed it. No one will.

Mr. Y, his eyes not wanting to meet mine had to let me go.
It was easy for him. He was the best. He could get away with it.
It was his way or the highway. Unfortunately, I had to hitchhike my way.
I was trembling as I left the office.
This was the first time I got sacked.
I could have sued
I could have contested.
But for what? Exactly.


I didn't know why he had to do that.
What I now is that he was not a bad boy as my officemate told me. He was just evil.

I kept my cool and left the office. Not looking back. At all.
It was sad. But I have to move on. Away from this job. Away from the invisible people that moves it.
It was a relief, honestly more than anything else.

I have to move on. And hopefully find a better one.
That's life. Sometimes, it's bitch. But you learn.
I just hope these people would end up in rehab. Soon.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some CV's to send.

besos!
photos from google images

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails